Friday, December 5, 2008

Mrs. Sessler

Today, Mrs. Sessler came and spoke to my 8th grade students. Mrs. Sessler is a remarkable woman in many ways, but in particular she comes to speak to the kids about her experience as a Holocaust survivor. She has done this, at my request, the last 8 years running. I feel like I know her story so well I could almost write a book about her. Well, today she asked me if I'd help her write a book, her book, her story. I don't think I've ever felt more honored. Here is a woman that I love so much I act like a giddy groupie when she is around and she wants my help. Needless to say, I told her I'd be honored. The mere thought of it has my insides swirling like goo.

Isn't it funny how the world works? To make a long story incredibly short, 107,000 Dutch Jews were taken into custody by the Nazis. 5,000 of those individuals survived. She is one of them. How amazing is that? How amazing is it that her grand-daughter, Julia Benner, came through the middle school and mentioned to Edward Coyne who mentioned to me she was a survivor and might be willing to talk to my kids? How amazing is it that she wants me to help her tell a story so profound? After all, she gives voice to almost 6 million people who cannot tell their tale. At 81 years old, I think she understands how important it is to get it recorded for perpetuity.

I think I might be the luckiest girl alive!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is amazing. Enjoy the process and keep us updated.

Karen Hatzigeorgiou said...

OMG Carolyn! That is so exciting! I guess she realizes what a fabulous person you are and how eloquently you'll be able to tell her story. What a remarkable adventure this will be for both of you! If you need a proofreader, let me know ;-)

Anonymous said...

Carolyn,

You should contact Joan Peterson at Saint Mary's College of California if you need to conduct any research on the Holocaust. Joan is an expert on the subject. I have a collection of articles and papers as well that you can borrow if you would like.

Kristina said...

I can't wait to hear more about the book in progress. Absolutely what an honor!! It totally makes sense to me though why she would ask you!! Love you girl
Kristina

Mel Harley said...

Mrs. Sessler really made an impact on Aidan. I remember reading everything I could get my hands on about the Holocaust when I was in middle school. My parents were alarmed at the material, but honored that I needed to know. I'm always heart broken when I have to share information about slavery, the Holocaust, or desegregation with my students. To tell the stories to naive children is like when you baby eats something other than pure mama's milk for the first time...you have to surrender your baby to the rest of the world. So necessary...but so scary and sad. (I hope that analogy made sense). You want to keep them pure and innocent, but they must experience the world.

Followers