Thursday, November 20, 2008

My eyes burn from reading short stories all day. I've got some kind of sinus thing going that has resulted in a three day long headache that won't go away and all I want to do is get to class tonight to see everybody. I really enjoy seeing you all each Thursday and will miss everyone next week when we have the time off. So, in the spirit of the season, I decided to post why I am thankful for each of you...

Heidi - You keep me laughing. I love your razor sharp wit and wish I had the intellect that is required to be as funny as you. You are a great source of support too. What would I do without you.

Alex - Whenever I'm wracked with worry I think of you. Not because you worry me, but because you are a model of peace and calmness. You have an amazing way of keeping things in perspective - something I deeply admire.

Brad - So quiet and unassuming. You exude confidence. I love the well placed humor you infuse into our class. Thank you.

Wendy - You are always so bright and positive. I look forward to seeing your genuinely warm smile. Plus, you love my kid and remember her after two years. That's incredible.

Joe - It's always nice to know that there is another English teacher slogging away out there. I enjoy hearing your perspectives on teaching and learning. I need to poke my head out of my middle school cave once in a while.

Carleen - You have a natural and easy kindness that I think people are really drawn to. Combined that with the logical math teacher side of you, and you are that rare person who sees things as a whole. We are lucky to have you working for our union. You get the big picture.

Roger - Gourmet snacks and endless scientific wisdom! Now there is a combination that can't be beat. You are always willing to listen to me and I appreciate that. I know I can be a whiny baby sometimes. Thank you.

Sarah - I feel like if we were soldiers you would be the exact girl I'd want in the trenches with me. You are infinitely trustworthy and honorable. I'm glad we're friends.

Mellissa - You are the spice in my life. You are the rock star I want to be. You are bold and fun and make me realize what it means to really live one's life. And, I can't forget to thank you for Aidan. She's a one in a million kid.

Andy - I can't think of another man I know who is more nurturing and thoughtful and intelligent. The kids at Semple are so lucky to have a teacher like you to look up to. We have some great laughs too.

Karen - A woman with the rare combination of intellect and artistic heart. It is so reassuring to know you're in this class with me. I hope I don't drive you nuts with questions and queries. You just know so much. Thank you for putting up with me!

Hale - You seem to be good at everything you do. You are honest and candid - two great qualities in any human being. Like Andy, you too are the perfect role model for your students. I hope they have some small understanding of that. Hopefully they say thanks once in a while.

Steve - I can't express enough how much I appreciate your flexibility and patience with me. This process of coming back into the world of being a student hasn't been easy for me. Thank you. Some day, when I grow up, I want to be as easy going and well versed in all things technological -like you!

Have a great Thanksgiving holiday everyone. Your friendships will be among the many things I am thankful for this year.

5 comments:

Mrs. Page said...

You're making me cry. You are such a sincere, kind, funny and energetic person. Jon and I love you!!

Sarah said...

Fields- You are a wonderful and caring person yourself. You are thoughtful and helpful. I hope that you and Jillan have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Thank you for the wonderful words, you make me want to cry.
I am glad that we get to chat on Thursdays also.

Anonymous said...

You are the best!

Karen Hatzigeorgiou said...

Carolyn~
When I found out that you were going to be in this class I was so excited because even though we work in the same department, we rarely get to see each other at school.

One of the best things about my job is the collection or incredible teachers I get to spend each day with. Even if I rarely see anyone outside the little hub of my room, I know you're there trying to make things better for these squirrelly, moody bunch of eleven to thirteen year olds. When they start to frustrate me, I know I can talk to you about it, and you always understand and lift my spirits.

I think about the promotion ceremony at the end of last year, when you walked up to the podium and the kids started screaming for you at the top of their lungs. I thought, "Wow! I get to work with her! How cool is that!" I appreciate so much your humor and common sense approach to things, and the love and concern you shower on your students.

I love you Ms. Fields!

Kristina said...

I miss my friend Carolyn. I am so happy that I found you here (through Dede's blog) I have tried to call a couple of times with no luck on catching my very busy girl!! I love you Carolyn and hope that you and Jill have a great Thanksgiving!!
Love
Kristina or Krissy for you and a very select few!!

Followers