Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Yard Dookie





I had a student a couple years back, you may know him, Isaiah Boyd, who knew I loathed yard duty so much he renamed it for me -- yard dookie. This school year, I have yard dookie on Tuesdays. My yard dookie station is at the top of the P-wing stairs. For those of you who know the Benicia Middle School campus, you know that the location I speak of is quite breathtaking. Before I parked my barely caffinated behind at the top of the steps I'd been in a bit of a foul mood - mostly because of this class. I feel like I'm light years behind. This does not sit well with me. I'm used to doing well. Mrs. Page's husband pointed out I'm suffering from a severe case of cognitive dissonance. Anyway, I took one look out at the strait and Port Costa on the opposite shore and felt better. It was a gorgeous morning. I reminded myself that I enjoy more love and support than one person probably deserves. In short, I gave myself an attitude adjustment.


By the way, Heidi had to bring me back from the brink once again later that day, but you'd have never known that if I hadn't tattled on myself.


P.S. The photo I've posted is actually a view of Benicia from Port Costa - the exact opposite of what I see.

8 comments:

Mrs. Page said...

Fields,

Your blog and photo are lovely images. I had never thought of yard duty as a place to enjoy the view. I, too, have duty at the top of the P wing stairs. I now have a new attitude because of you!

Karen Hatzigeorgiou said...

Hi Carolyn,
You know sometimes I walk to school in the morning. I come out Baker Street and turn down Panorama and there spread out before me is the same view that you enjoy on Tuesday mornings! Earlier this year, I turned the corner and across the water, on the tracks in front of Port Costa, was a really long train with so many colorful cars that it looked like a box of crayons had spilled out along the water. The sky was perfectly blue, the water was shimmering. I took a deep breath and realized once again how lucky I am to be living and working in such a beautiful place. Thanks for helping me to remember.

Roger said...

Hi Carolyn,
I have some beautiful early morning photos of Benicia/Vallejo taken from my old digs in Crockett that you might like to see. If I can figure this bloggie dookie out, I'll send them to you

Shelly said...

I often need to give myself an attitude adjustment! We all have so much that we take for granted! :)

Anonymous said...

I hated yard dookie my 1 year at BMS too...but now you've reminded me to go out and joy that same view from my own backyard when I am feeling overwhelmed.

Kathy Mc said...

I'm glad you like your station. Yard Duty was my least favorite, as well, when I was teaching. I used to look at the horses across the street from Robert Semple before the apartments were built. Now it seems like I'm doing yard duty all day long, haha. But I'm lucky to be in such a beautiful setting with cool teachers like you!

Mel Harley said...

My first year at Farmar I had the worst yard dookie...after school front of the school. It was the first year after Mills closed, so there were a bunch of new families, more kids, complete pandemonium. Parents don't follow rules well, as you all know, plus they love to yell at teachers. To top it all off, that was the year that it rained 28 days in January. We were out there rain or shine! My favorite parent comment after I redirected them to pick up their child further up the curb..."Well, I am never coming her again!" I guess we lost her business that day, the customers not always right!

The next two years I had cakewalk yard duty...morning recess...with that same awesome view. The whale swam by that year. Incredible.

Glad to hear you have angels around to adjust your attitude!

Mel Harley said...

I misspelled!

"...coming here again!"

Followers